The nightmare has just become a reality. You have bed bugs! Now what?! Most people freak out and start throwing away furniture and spraying all types of chemicals in hopes to kill the pesky insects. What people don’t know, is that what they’re doing will only make matters worse. Bed bugs can spread very easily and if not handled correctly, they can quickly become a major infestation, taking over your entire home.
The list below will give you some helpful tips on what NOT to do when you first find out that you have these blood-sucking insects. First, follow a few steps to minimize your chances of spreading the infestation around your home. Then, call a reputable professional bed bug extermination company to help you.
The DO NOT List
- Do not panic. You can control bed bugs with careful inspection and by using proper control methods.
- Do not try to kill bed bugs by using agricultural or garden pesticides. Using outdoor pesticides to control bed bugs can make you or your family very sick.
- Do not use products that appear to be “homemade” or “custom formulated.” Homemade products could be dangerous and they might make the problem worse.
- Do not use products that have labels in a non-English language.
- Do not apply pesticides directly to your body. This could make you very sick.
- Do not use rubbing alcohol, kerosene, or gasoline. These chemicals may cause fires.
- Do not throw away your furniture. Beds and other furniture can be treated for bed bugs. Throwing away your furniture can spread the bugs and you have to buy new furniture.
- Do not store things under the bed. Storing stuff under the bed gives bed bugs many new places to hide. This makes it more difficult to get rid of bed bugs.
- Do not move things from room to room. Moving your things from the room with bed bugs to another room in your house may spread the bed bugs.
- Do not wrap items in black plastic and place them in the sun. It will not get hot enough to kill all the bugs.
- Do not try Do It Yourself (DIY) methods. Bed bugs are extremely hard to get rid of and multiply quickly. Contact a professional Bed Bug Exterminator before the infestation gets out of control.
Bed bugs are not your ordinary insect. They are very difficult to get rid of. Hiring a professional bed bug extermination company is highly recommended. It will save you money in the long run and give you peace of mind so that you can sleep at night!