Heat treatment preparation is essential for a successful bed bug extermination service.
Cleaning and organizing a home or location for bed bug extermination can be as much of a burden as moving. It is, however, an extremely important first step in the control of bed bugs, because bed bugs thrive in cluttered living areas. It is important to follow the Heat Treatment Checklist for best results.
- When reducing clutter take care that you don’t spread the bed bugs:
- Don’t move items from the infested area to a non-infested area.
- Place trash or other infested items directly into plastic trash bags and secure tightly. When full, immediately carry the bags to an outside bin.
- Get rid of excess magazines and newspapers.
- Keep clothing off the floor.
- Eliminate all cardboard boxes (the bugs can hide in the cardboard). Replace with plastic boxes, if you need the storage.
- Get rid of clothing and other items you no longer use (but make sure they are free of bed bugs first so you don’t spread them).
BEFORE & AFTER HEAT TREATMENT
The day of the heat treatment, it is very important to make sure you put all of your belongings that you will be bringing with you in the dryer on high heat for at least 40 minutes (including the clothes that you will be wearing for the day). Change into the dried clothing and add the clothing you will be wearing upon your return after the heat treatment. Leave the house immediately.
After the heat treatment is completed, make sure to follow the same steps prior to the treatment. Throw all of your belongings and clothes warn back into the dryer on high heat for 40 minutes
Carefully inspecting all items that you will be bringing with you before leaving your home is very important. Bed bugs are known to be hitchhikers and will easily hide in your belongings, infesting your vehicle, places visited, or may be brought back home, only to re-infest your home after the treatment has been completed.
Bed bug re-infestations are very common. It is important to find out where the problem originated from to prevent another bed bug problem. If a family member, friend, workplace, school etc. may be the root cause, notify them immediately or else you will be back to square one. Do not visit any known places with bed bugs or allow someone in your home or location who has bed bugs until the known location has been professionally treated.
For more information on bed bug heat treatment extermination or to schedule an appointment, call FL Bed Bug Experts at 813.922.8475.